Thursday, September 01, 2016

DIY Wooden Growth Chart Ruler

I've finished a project I've been meaning to do for ages!

For years I've been admiring wooden growth charts for both their portability and classy simplicity. Turns out the project wasn't that hard to do, was pretty inexpensive and looks awesome if I do say so myself!

Here's how I did it.

I had Brian cut a high quality pine board to 6' tall and 8" wide. I sanded it thoroughly, applied a coat of wood pre-conditioner, sanded again and then put on a coat of Miniwax Golden Pecan stain.

Then I used a pencil and clear quilting rulers to put a mark every one inch. I started my numbering at six inches as I wanted to mount the board off the floor. I followed the markings of a traditional ruler and made quarter, half and foot marks varying lengths. Next I printed the numbers one to six in Century Schoolbook 200 point font on regular printer paper. Then I gently etched these numbers into the wood by pressing through the paper with a mechanical pencil around the edges of the numbers.

Next, I used a black acrylic paint marker to trace over the pencil lines and etched letters. I taped the edge of the quilt ruler with painters tape to save clean up time later.



Once that was all done, I took the board outside and sprayed the whole thing with a couple coats of protective satin polyurethane.

Here's the final product!


And here's a close up of the hand painted lines and numbers.


To mount the ruler we used four extra large 3M Command Strips to hang the board precisely six inches up from the floor.

I'm using an extra fine point black acrylic paint pen to write in the boys names and dates as they grow. Since we've moved around so much, I've had to fill in whatever heights I could find from various forms and medical reports to date. From now on I plan to just measure each boy on his birthday for consistency.

So pleased it's finished and I'm hoping it's a treasure for years to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment