Thursday, November 12, 2015

Five Hundred Posts and a Ten Year Anniversary

Dear readers, this is my five hundredth post!

Just as remarkable is the fact that last month marked my blog's tenth anniversary! That's some pretty serious seniority in blog land! 

It seems like a lifetime ago that I wrote that first post describing preparations for our departure to Australia for my time as a Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar. And what a gloriously profound decade it has been! It would take, oh, I don't know, approximately five hundred entries to even begin to describe all that has happened since then! 

Lots of change has been chronicled in these pages and now that we've been back in the US for over a year, I've been pondering the future of this blog and the fate of its title in particular. Adventures Down Under is in its tween years and given recent hemispheric changes, the title no longer describes the current content. That said, while the blog might have outgrown its name, I just don't have the heart to change it. I've amassed a pretty impressive list of contenders for a new title but with a history and personality of its own, it doesn't seem right to change it mid life cycle. I'd also be concerned that changing the title would negatively impact search results, accessibility and how posts are retrieved from archives. And those of you who were kind enough to weigh in on my deliberations agreed that there was no good reason to divorce myself from the title for strictly geographical reasons. Then of course there's also the fact that a portion of my heart continues to reside down under!

So, I think I'll go with the suggestion of my very dear friend, Beth. Keep the name and give it a subtitle.

Adventures Down Under: There and back again

Nothing like honoring the past while leaving the future open to more adventures! And as Beth so wisely points out, a LOTR reference might boost search results :)

So while I plan to just keep on blogging under a slightly revised title, this seems a good time to say thanks to my readers. Some of you have been with me since day one and others have been collected along the way from far flung corner of the earth. Whether far or near, I appreciate all of you - your friendship, support, love and encouragement (and pageviews). This wouldn't be nearly so much fun without you. Let the Adventures continue - here, there and everywhere.

2 comments:

  1. Jenn, love the title....a certain Tolkienque vibe. Congrats on the 500th blog. Been a great journey. Bart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bart for being such a significant part of it all!

      Delete