Saturday, February 21, 2015

Western Reserve Historical Society

My photography class recently took a field trip to the Western Reserve Historical Society.  Founded in 1867, the WRHS is the oldest cultural institution in Cleveland and is home to a variety of artifacts and archives chronicling the history of Cleveland, Akron and Northeast Ohio more broadly.

The Society was kind enough to open several exhibits for us outside of normal operating hours so that our crew of budding photographers could set up tripods and practice our skills.

One of the highlights for me was getting to photograph the colorful, hand-carved wooden horses of the Euclid Beach Park Grand Carousel, once located on Cleveland's lakefront. We were given access to the pavilion that houses the carousel so we could photograph it before it started operating for the day.



The rest of the morning was spent exploring the Crawford Auto Aviation Collection. I was really drawn to the classic details on the cars so I focused my energy on capturing images of antique lights and hood ornaments. I couldn't tell you the make or model of any of these cars so apologies in advance to any aficionados who might be wondering!









Indoor lighting conditions can be somewhat challenging so it was a good experience to have the camera in manual mode while trying to accommodate glare and use the light to my advantage. I feel like I'm making progress even though I don't get quite as much as time to practice as I'd like!


No comments:

Post a Comment