Monday, December 01, 2014

Ari's First Day of Preschool

Today we sent our darling three year old off for his first day of preschool!


It's an odd time of year to start but we had to wait until he was fully potty trained to enroll him anywhere that wasn't a child care center and a spot only just opened up in this particular school. Plus, with all the tasks of settling in here, it's taken a while to research the options and figure out where we wanted him to go, so the timing worked out pretty well.

We chose a little cooperative school that offers a two day per week program at 2.5 hours per day. I liked the school because the teachers are just lovely and seem to get the notion of respecting kids and treating them as competent and responsible little people. The building is occupied by interesting play equipment and toys and is tastefully decorated with natural materials. I don't know about you, but I can't stand centers filled with plastic junk and overstimulating, cutesy decor. We also liked that his cousin Edward, who is about ten months older than Ari, is in the same class.

It's Ari's first experience with any sort of group childcare or school setting and we think he'll enjoy the time there. We hope he'll have some great opportunities to socialize with other kids and have enriching experiences.

I hope you have a terrific day buddy!

Postscript: Home by 11:30 am and Ari enjoyed his first day at preschool!

When I asked him to tell me about his first day, he said (with some prompting throughout the conversation), "Make gingerbread. Eat gingerbread. Play with Edward. I did a mouse project. He was doing that (makes fingers crawl like a spider). Mama, I did something that I forgot. There was blue, yellow, green, red. Uh, and orange."

Not a bad description coming from a three year old! He's looking forward to going back tomorrow and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy a few hours to myself!


No comments:

Post a Comment