Monday, August 19, 2013

Whirlwind Tour Part One: Minnesota

We've just returned from a whirlwind three week adventure to the US. We flew from Canberra to Sydney to San Francisco to Minneapolis before driving to Litchfield to spend a week visiting my mom and friends. Then we flew to Cleveland where we spent a couple days with Brian's family before driving to New York (with a detour to Canada to visit Niagara Falls) for a family getaway in the Adirondacks. Whew!

As usual the kids had a grand time with Grandma Betty in Minnesota. As she was recovering from a broken hip and subsequent surgery, we spent most of our time just pottering around the house and garden (which was just fine for a bunch of weary travelers).

The kids admire their new trains from Grandma.

"Thank you Grandma Betty for buying me James." Great when Riker can caption his own photos!

Enjoying beautiful summer days

Self portraits with my mid-size love. Just had to include the one with Ari's hand trying to get in on the action!

Of course, I was very glad to catch up with dear friends (and their kids) as well - Kristy, Tim, Jess, Jason, Douglas, Colleen, Miss Amy - how I love staying connected and reconnecting with people who have been such great friends for so long.

Jessica and Corbin

Conveniently, Tim and Kristy were once again hosting a barn party during our stay which is always a good chance to catch up with old friends. It's also pretty terrific that some of those kids are old enough to babysit my kids when in town. Many thanks to Morgan for looking after the kiddos so we could enjoy the party!

Ari, Aubrey and Riker relax with Peppa Pig

Also, great to catch up with my brother on our last night in the state. Riker warmed immediately to Uncle Gary, despite not having seen him for nearly a year and quickly drew him into his train play.

In Minnesota and throughout the rest of the trip, people were continuously commenting on Riker's adorable accent.  While this was expected, I was surprised to be asked by a clerk in a Litchfield store,
 where I was from. When I noted that Litchfield was my hometown but that I'd been living in Australia for years, she declared, "Oh, I just love your accent!" I can almost hear my Australian friends chuckling heartily.

In the next post - arriving in Cleveland, catching up with the McMillins, mischief with the cousins and meeting baby Porter!


No comments:

Post a Comment