Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Olympics

I'm a bit sad that the Olympics are over because I don't know about you, but I could watch gymnastics and synchronized diving all day. In fact, despite my general lack of interest in sports, I've really enjoyed watching a number of Olympic events over the past two weeks. I suspect that Riker has too if his jumping and leaping around the living room is anything to go by.

In Australia, we never had a television so if we were there, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have watched the games at all. But, since we're in the US (and staying somewhere with a big screen TV) we've been tuning in regularly.  I'm not one to be terribly patriotic but I've felt great pride in cheering for Team USA.  

One of the things that has kept me interested (in addition to the spectacular demonstrations of human ability of course) is the depth of human emotion displayed in the games. We see drama on television all the time but it's contrived. In the Olympics we are witness to the crushing grief of shattered hopes and the sheer elation of accomplishing one's grandest dreams. I found myself getting teary eyed when Jordyn Wieber missed out on the all-around gymnastics competition and feeling giddy when the US women relay sprinters were about to break a world record.  These very real emotions are truly moving - reality TV at its best. 

The closing ceremony has put an end to the games and it's probably a good thing to go back to watching less TV. But you know you've been watching the Olympics for two weeks when the first song that comes to mind for the baby's lullaby is not Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, but the Star Spangled Banner.


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the Olympics and have been wondering the same thing about what to do with my life now, ha ha. I figure it's good to get back to more balance with TV time, yes, but it's so inspiring to me to watch these athletes every 2 years (I do winter, too). I don't follow any other sports, but I just find this display of the best of the best, the limits of what bodies and willpower can do, so fascinating. It's also inspired me to resume and rev up my own workouts, though I don't have quite such high aspirations for myself…

    The emotions are a really intriguing aspect, too. I find it so interesting to look at one person's unfettered joy at an unexpected bronze compared with another's grudging resignation to a silver; it's all perspective. And then there are the people who are just thrilled to be there at all. I would be thrilled to be there as a spectator! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wouldn't have seen the link to this post on facebook but my intro comment there was "Life after the Olympics..." And yes exactly, the thrill of bronze and the agony of silver is fascinating to me too.

      Thanks for dropping by the blog - I pop in to visit you at Hobo Mama every once in a while and always enjoy reading.

      Jenn

      Delete