Sunday, May 20, 2012

Parenting Mantras

Parenting is hands down the most amazing and most challenging endeavor I've undertaken.  Most days contain moments that are so precious I find myself wishing that my eyes were cameras so that I could capture the sweetness for eternity.  Most days also contain moments that stretch my patience to its limits.  That's the thing about parenting though - just when you think you've come to the end of your rope, you just have to find more rope.

For those tough moments, I have a small collection of mantras and mottos that I try to call to mind in an attempt to reframe the situation so that I can react in a calmer and more mindful manner (or at least avert tears, mine and theirs).  These are my favorites:

  • This too shall pass.
  • Don't sweat the small stuff.
  • Better out than in.  
  • Will it matter next week?
  • Connection before correction.
  • Breathe. 
  • Pick battles wisely.
  • Love unconditionally. 
  • I'll miss this one day. 
  • Keep calm and carry on. 
  • The days are long but the years are short.

Do you have any parenting mantras that help you to remain calm or prevent you from running off to join the carnival when the going gets tough?


No comments:

Post a Comment