Friday, October 07, 2011

Introducing Baby McMillin

This post is long overdue but it's been a busy time and I kept hoping that we would have a name to accompany the official announcement!  Alas, you'll have to stay tuned for that bit of news while we reach a consensus. 

We are very excited to announce the birth of our second son at 12:30 am on Monday 26th September (AEST). He weighed in at 3.64 kg (8 lbs) and is 53 cm (20.8 inches) tall. 

Here's the quick version of the birth story.  On Sunday afternoon, we went for a walk and returned home at about 6pm to cook dinner.  As I was cooking, I realized that I was having fairly regular contractions, about five minutes apart from the beginning.  We ate dinner and cleaned up and I put Riker down to bed.  By the time I left the room, I was having contractions every three minutes or so and we called our midwife and doula to let them know what was happening.  Our doula (the friend who was away all of last week and thankfully back in time) came over and found that I was 4 cm dilated at 11pm.  She thought we'd better get to the Birth Centre so we called Riker's nanny to come over and spend the night at our house and then got in the car for the twenty minute drive to the hospital.  We arrived just before midnight and I was ready to push almost as soon as we arrived.  The midwife had drawn a warm bath and about half an hour later, the baby was born in the bath.  It was an amazing and empowering experience and I am extremely grateful to the baby, my body and my support team for the quick and efficient birth!

We have had a wonderful first week at home and we LOVE being a family of four.  Riker is adapting well and loves to kiss the baby though he has clocked him in the head a few times too!  When he's had enough baby time, he asks that we put him back in his bassinet - I think he thinks that's where he goes when he's finished with him :)

Here are a few photos from week one:


Just arrived!

The boys meet for the first time

A mama in love

Happy to finally meet

Proud big brother


Sweet slumber

Still slumbering

Kisses

Cuddles

Squeezes

Snoozing in the bassinet Riker slept in

Too cute!

Thanks to everyone for all of your kind words and warm wishes. I can't respond to all of you personally but we appreciate your thoughts!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the pictures. Miss you and love you all so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to have Cael weigh in on the baby's name but he insists it should be "Chagawaga, The Baby" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Points to Cael for originality!

    ReplyDelete