Friday, April 30, 2010

Toothpaste Woes

Brian hates mint. To the point where he will relocate to another room while I enjoy a cup of peppermint tea. This means that I am continually on the lookout for a toothpaste that is not mint flavored and not otherwise disgusting - a search that is more difficult than you might imagine. We've tried cherry, orange, herbal, fennel, baking soda and I can't remember how many other varieties of toothpaste in our never-ending quest. All of the above either left the mouth feeling like it had been smeared with pie filling or simply tasted awful.

So the other day when I was in the health food shop I did my usual quick perusal of the toothpaste section to see what I could find. After talking with the clerk, I ended up purchasing a brand called Ayurdent (which I expected to be nothing short of fabulous at nearly $10 a tube). Excited that perhaps this would be a lucky day, I returned home, opened the tube and squeezed this out onto my toothbrush:


Not so appetizing you say? I didn't think so either. But did the taste make amends for the appearance you ask? Nay. It nearly burnt my tongue and tasted STRONGLY of cloves with a bit of, you guessed it, mint.

One tube of toothpaste free to a good home. Or any home for that matter.

3 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I'll try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL
    I'm not that bad, but I also dislike the over-minty-ness of toothpastes. I also can't stand the family of anise and liquorice flavours, so that negates most other toothpastes. last week I tried my hand at making my own toothpaste, from a recipe I found online somewhere, the link escapes me now. anyway, it's equal parts of calcium clay (or green argyle clay or bentonite) and Xylitol, both of which are *really* good for the teeth and can be found in most health food stores; mix the powders together and add water to make a paste. you can add any flavouring you like, or none at all. it worked really well, and cleans my teeth great :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. J, we're certainly not going to use it for anything other that patching holes in a brown wall so you can have it!

    M, thanks for the great recipe. May also try simple bicarb soda and water too. $10 worth of that will have us brushing for years!

    ReplyDelete