Friday, December 11, 2009

Six Weeks and Growing

The tricky thing about breastfeeding, I find, is that you never really know how much milk you are producing and in turn, you never really know if what you are producing is sufficient for your baby. So I've spent a fair bit of time over the past six weeks worrying whether or not he's getting enough to eat. I was worried because he had a somewhat traumatic birth and then we had some difficulties establishing breastfeeding so I wasn't feeling very confident about the whole process. But all along he's had wet and pooey diapers and seemed happy and content. Today I took him to the local community clinic where you can drop in to weigh your baby and chat with a nurse. And I'm very pleased with the results! Here are his vital stats:

Birth weight: 3.9 kilos or 8 lbs 10 oz
Six week weight: 5.2 kilos or 11 lbs 8 oz
33% increase!

Birth length: 53 cm or 20.5 inches
Six week length: 57 cm or 22.4 inches
10% increase!

He's in the 75th percentile across the board. That's my boy - growing up before my very eyes....

No comments:

Post a Comment