Monday, June 22, 2009

21 Week Ultrasound

After a fair bit of umming and ahhing about whether or not to have an ultrasound done, we decided to go ahead with the 20+ week morphological scan just to make sure that everything was okay and progressing nicely (and to make sure there was only one baby in there!). Our appointment was first thing this morning at 8:30am and Brian and I both went to the appointment on our way to work. What an absolutely amazing hour that turned out to be! We saw our gorgeous little baby squirming about, opening and closing his mouth and punching out with little fists. And best of all, we saw a fully formed spinal cord and a four chambered heart beating away.

I was actually rather nervous going in to this appointment, probably because of the potential to be told really disturbing news. But that all turned into sheer delight as the technician kept saying "looks good!" I was prepared for it to be a really cool experience but I was not prepared for the sheer joy and delight I felt at seeing this little being wriggling around on the screen. I've seen a lot of ultrasound photos but looking at your baby on that screen is another thing entirely. I also know that visual images are very powerful but again, I was not prepared for how moving it would be to see that little face. I accomplished very little at work today other than daydreaming, smiling like a fool and showing the 88 images off to anyone who cared to look :)

So in the hopes that this will be one-tenth as exciting for you as it is for me, I give you the best of the ultrasound images.

A side profile shot:


Teeny little feet:


A 4D image of the little bub's face with the placenta and umbilical cord to the left:


Another shot of the face - again, that's the placenta on the left:


Bye for now! See you in November!


Plot spoiler below:




It's a boy!

1 comment:

  1. Oohhhh what a beautiful little baby! I'm so happy for you two! There is nothing like seeing your baby for the first time. We celebrate with you both. Take care of yourselves and hope to talk to you this weekend.

    And, by the way, Congrats! on the new house in Ohio too! Wow...big stuff happening with the McMillin clan!

    ReplyDelete