Sunday, July 20, 2008

Rainy Sunday

I awoke this morning having dreamt of crashing waves on a beach. In my dream, I was stuck in some building gazing out at the beach from behind a glass window and I couldn't go out to enjoy the sun and sand because I had to hurry and pack so I could leave and catch a plane. I take this as proof that I am in desperate need of a tropical holiday :) Planning to meet the family in Hawaii later this year but I'm not sure I can wait that long!

The weekend is once again slipping by - yesterday (Saturday) we had a lazy day and then joined some friends to make pizzas for dinner. Today has involved the usual chores - grocery shopping, laundry, baking lasagna. It started pouring rain on our way home from the grocery store and we're supposed to go out this evening for a going-away party. Some friends of ours are moving back to Sweden so we're going to see them off, but it's going to take a bit of effort to don the rain gear and venture out.

Earlier today we went out to have a look at our winter garden. Unlike Minnesota or Ohio you can actually have a garden year round here and so we planted snow peas, beets, spinach, chard, onions and other hardy veggies. Then we proceeded to neglect them terribly. That wouldn't be such a problem except for the fact that we are losing the battle against the slugs and snails due to our lack of diligence. So the winter garden is looking fairly sad, but not a complete loss. Here I am checking out the peas.

Hopefully, we can salvage at least few green and crunchy treats from the jaws of the slimy enemy. Do snails have jaws? Doubt it.

It's going to be a busy week. Classes are back in session tomorrow for the beginning of second semester so there will be a lot more students around. And I'm in a training session all day Tuesday and Wednesday to learn how to run an environmental change management course for students. Need me to define that? It's a training course where we teach students how to go into an organization to do environmental audits and provide the company with suggestions on how to both improve environmental performance and save money. So this week I'm being trained to be the trainer. Should be a good experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment