Sunday, June 29, 2008

Good Eats

Our summer garden yielded among other things, lots of pumpkins. One weekend when we were feeling particularly ambitious, we cooked all of the pumpkin, pureed it, and froze it. I had visions of a winter full of warm and creamy pumpkin soups, but Brian had only one thing on his mind - pumpkin pie! My mom makes an incredible Impossible (read crustless) Pumpkin Pie that is to die for and Brian has spent the last several months perfecting his pumpkin pie. He's been making about two per week and thus ensuring that I'm well insulated against the cold winter. Pumpkin pie with fresh whipped cream for dessert every night - yum! Behold the glory of the pumpkin pie!



It's winter in Australia and in Canberra that just means cold nights and crisp sunny days. We continue to remind people that they don't know how good they have it. Even though it's winter, the citrus trees are bearing fruit, believe it or not. We noticed a small tree in our backyard some time ago and thought at first it was a lime tree with its small green fruits. Then they turned yellowish and we thought we had a lemon tree. Then they turned orange and we realized we actually have an orange tree! How exciting! I remembered that I wanted a photo of it late one evening so I grabbed the camera and thought I would see what I could capture in the dark.

The oranges are actually quite tart at this point; I think we picked them too early and they might have sweetened up on the tree. But really, imagine - picking citrus fruits in the winter! I don't get it, but enjoy it nonetheless. My friend Janette gave us a bag of lemons from her tree and we had to decide what to do with them. The result - lemon tart! Another work of dessert art from Brian below.



Mouth watering? So unbelievably yummy. At least Brian and I won't be consuming all of it ourselves. We had friends over last night and made lasagna, garlic bread and salad and had lemon tart for dessert. Then we spent the rest of the evening playing games including (the McMillins amongst you will appreciate this) Sheepshead. Good fun. And now its Sunday evening and I could really use a couple more days in this weekend. I'll let you know if I figure out how to make that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment