Monday, March 31, 2008

Flexitarian?

I have done something shockingly out of character. Some of you might want to sit down: I ate kangaroo.

Now I've had a bite or two at a BBQ just to try it; the other night however, we bought it, cooked it and ate it. Okay, Brian cooked it. I realized I have never before cooked meat. I ate it until I was about eighteen, but it was always cooked by someone else. Then I moved away from home and was a strict vegetarian for many years. Until we moved to Hawaii. The allure of mahi mahi was just too strong and I began to eat fish. That began to pose a problem when I needed to call myself something. Brian has termed himself a "flexitarian," meaning he eats meat once or twice a week on average, and only if we go out, it's available and sounds particularly tasty.

I occasionally hear a funny thing said by friends and colleagues here, and that is "I'm a vegetarian, but I eat kangaroo." Sounds pretty silly, eh? Well, for the environmentally conscious sort (of which I am usually surrounded given the nature of my work) kangaroo offers dietary protein that is low in fat, but also environmentally friendly if you will. It cannot be farmed (all kangaroos are wild harvested), therefore they don't harm the soil or cause pollution like factory farmed animals, they aren't pumped full or hormones and they do not generate methane emissions. Even Greenpeace is urging kangaroo consumption to fight global warming.

So, whats gotten into me, you might be asking? Well, at a BBQ last Monday night, I had a few bites of a kangaroo sausage. I have been working my arse off lately on yet another big event (it was terrific - blog post coming soon) and I have been absolutely exhausted by the time I leave work at 5pm most days. On Tuesday, after eating kangaroo the night before, I had noticeably more energy all day and into the evening.

So, as a short term test, I am considering a once a week addition of kangaroo to my diet. I'd been thinking about doing this for a while, just to see what more iron, protein, etc. would do for me. And as for what to call myself? This is a tricky one as being a vegetarian has always been about more than just diet; it conveys a whole suite of moral and ethical philosophies along with it. I haven't yet sorted through the issues I have about eating my furry, hopping friends. For the moment, I'll consider it a hiatus from my usual diet. Plus, I figure it's best to not be too hung up on labels anyway.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting. Let us know how that works out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Any such equivalent in the USA? {e.g. Deer from my backyard?}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told you all you would need to sit down. I just keeping thinking about it though, and I'm not sure I'll be able to continue eating my furry friends.

    And Carl, I don't think the Warblers Roost Homeowners Association would appreciate you shooting deer in your backyard. Many of the same contentious issues here around kangaroos as there are with deer there in terms of culling. Deer, though, aren't the national symbol! Imagine eating a bald eagle - unheard of!

    ReplyDelete