Sunday, February 24, 2008

Flat Out

Dear reader,

I should first apologise for the complete neglect of my blog over the past few weeks - it was just pointed out to me that my last post was in early February! Feeling guilty because I love to see new posts on my friend's blogs and am always disappointed if there is nothing new to read about. I have a very valid excuse though, and that is that work has been incredibly busy for the last month. And when I say busy, I mean barely keeping up busy. The first semester starts tomorrow and that means I've been preparing presentations, orientation sessions and welcome sessions to introduce new students to the work of the green office. And as if that in itself weren't enough, this Thursday is Celebrate Sustainability Day, a collaborative effort between myself and two awesome and devoted colleagues, Millie and Su. We have planned a Ride to Uni breakfast (pancakes for anyone who arrives petrol free to campus), a BBQ lunch, dinner of pumpkin soup from the campus garden and an outdoor film (The Next Industrial Revolution), with a wide range of activities, displays and tours in between. The highlights: live music by a great local band, a clothing swap, displays by all of the green groups on campus, a Prius on display, Segways to test drive, chances to drive an ANU electric buggy, mural painting, photovoltaic displays, green building tours, pedal powered smoothies....you see why we've been preoccupied lately! Oh, and we've got about $1400 in prizes to give away including a years worth of residential green energy!

Given all of that, I've been resorting to escapism - a lot of takeaway and watching movies in the evenings! Over the last couple weekends we've worked on building that pedal powered bicycle blender mentioned above (I'll be sure to include photos once it's finished), preserving vegetables from the garden and making yet another batch of mead. Some photos:



One week's abundance from the garden! We've been regularly making tomato sauce, zucchini cakes and zucchini muffins - and leaving gifts on our neighbors doorstep!


Another mead making adventure. Carl sent us mead ingredients including yeast, yeast nutrient and acids and they were detained by quarantine; we only got them released after having Carl write an "official" letter and by then we had already made our first batch of mead! Not wanting the ingredients to go to waste, we acquired fifteen kilos of red stringybark honey (another eucalypt) and made ten more gallons of mead!

So hoping to get my life back after next week; I'll let you know how that goes :)

2 comments:

  1. Mead looks to be fermenting well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You continue to amaze and astound! Good Luck! See you on the other side of they mayhem :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete