Saturday, November 03, 2007

All dressed up...

The following post has been fermenting for some time as the last several weeks were spent preparing the extra special 100th post. Speaking of the 100th post, I have to acknowledge Bear who cracked the code on the sentence super saturated with Australian-isms! You can read his translation in the comments section of the last post.

I've been meaning to write a bit about a conference I went to in early October in the Blue Mountains. It was the seventh annual (and my second) ACTS (Australasian Campuses Towards Sustainability) conference which brings together facilities managers interested in green campus operations and those of us interested in sustainability education in the tertiary sector. The conference was really interesting and informative and I gave a presentation and a workshop on the topic of student involvement in campus sustainability initiatives.

The conference dinner was a black and white 20's theme and we were told to dress up. Now this could have been totally cheesy but it ended up being the most fun I've had in ages! The ANU group looked really amazing and there was a terrific swing jazz band playing. We all danced the night away and tried to look awake at the conference the following day! I'd already presented so I wasn't too worried about sleep that night! Here are some photos of the girls looking sassy and then of the whole ANU contingent.



The next conference I'm going to will be in India. You can imagine I'm looking forward to that (not to mention eating curries and drinking chai until I can eat and drink no more)!

1 comment:

  1. Etymology of POM
    A contraction of pomegranate, rhyming slang for immigrant (“imme-granate”). The older term of Jimmy Grant meaning immigrant became Pommy Grant as the Austrailian sun turned the immigrants skin pomegranate red.

    A devolution of “Prisoner of His/Her Majesty” or “POHM”
    An acronym for “Prisoner of Mother England”

    ReplyDelete