Saturday, June 02, 2007

Worms and Parrots

We set up our worm farm today using mostly finished compost and damp shredded office paper as bedding. After carving several rows of holes into the Styrofoam box, we dumped in the bucket of worms (purchased from a worm breeder who delivered them to campus for me – 1000 worms cost $25) and buried our kitchen scraps from the last few days. Covered the whole lot with damp papers and put the lid on. Go to work little guys!


As we were setting up the farm we noticed a king parrot sitting in the tree in above us. Upon closer inspection we realized there were four of them, which is notable as we’ve never seen them in our yard before. I see them on campus quite a bit, but never at home. In fact, the other day I saw seven of them sitting in the tree outside my office window.





2 comments:

  1. Let me know how that goes. I miss composting and as summer approaches I think about it more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete