Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Milton Ulladulla Rotary

While my time as an Ambassadorial Scholar has technically finished, I am still involved with Rotary and speaking at clubs around Australia. The week before last, Brian and I were hosted by the Rotary club of Milton-Ulladulla for a couple days on the coast. Once again, had a delightful time seeing the local area including beaches and dolphins and meeting club members. I spoke at the local Interact club which is a branch of Rotary for young people ages 14-18 which gives them opportunities to participate in meaningful service projects and develop leadership skills. The Interact club I visited had just been formed and managed to raise over $7000 in their first fundraising event for a leukemia foundation. A number of them shaved their heads and they raised pledges to get their teachers and principles to shave their heads as well. So impressive!

We stayed with a lovely couple who served as our hosts and to my delight, Jenny is a quilter! Always nice to have something in common and she does amazing artistic and picturesque quilts...we spent a fair bit of time looking at her work and comparing techniques.

Spoke at their club and had a terrific response. When I finished they were asking what they could do and suggesting that they designate an Environmental Projects Officer for the club. Very encouraging for me! Here I am exchanging club banners with President Geoff.



So as I said, trying to stay involved with Rotary and I'm pleased to say that my host club, Canberra Sunrise has just made me an honorary member! And I'm planning a dinner with the other Ambassadorial Scholars who are still here and with those who have just arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment