Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Tuggeranong Rotary

Several Rotary events this week...

Tuesday evening I spoke at the Tuggeranong Rotary club for their 18th anniversary meeting. A nice time all in all but the meeting was three hours long! My host club, Canberra Sunrise, specifically decided to have their meetings at 7:30 am so that the meetings are automatically kept to one hour so people can get to work. Now I see the benefit of that! Granted it was an evening to celebrate...

Here I am exchanging club banners with their president.



Oh, and a good opportunity came out of that evening. One of the members came up to me after my talk and as a federal Parliamentarian, he offered to arrange a meeting with the Minister of the Environment for me! How's that for connections? I hardly knew what to say and have to put some serious thought into that.

Saturday evening was another Rotary event...Canberra Sunrise every year sponsors a program for high school students, the Model United Nations Assembly or MUNA. They bring students from all over Australia to Canberra to model UN sessions. On Saturday we had a great dinner at ANU with a number of diplomats and commissioners visiting from the local embassies. We were seated with the American contingent and met a woman from the US embassy who told us all about the public service and her job here. Quite interesting.

So its been a busy week and school is going well. Trying to put the final touches on my outline and plan out my methodology for my masters research essay before we head off on our travels over the two week holiday in September.

1 comment: