Saturday, July 08, 2006

Ouch

Well my week was going quite well until Thursday. I got excellent marks in all of my courses and was enjoying my time off. So Thursday I was off to get groceries and had an afternoon of baking cookies planned. Did my shopping and loaded up my backpack and panniers and was on my way home when I had my first bike accident.

I was riding along a short stretch of sidewalk to get on the bike path when a giant black SUV came out of a parking garage and smack! I only saw the vehicle when I was right in front of it and I remember thinking, "oh, they'll see me" and swerving and then realizing they weren't going to stop in time. Next thing I know I'm face down on the drive seeing my bike tires spinning a few feet away and milk pouring out of the panniers. The woman driving (a little Asian woman who had to sit up straight to see over the dash) was very distraught. Another cyclist appeared on the scene and spent the rest of the day with me as I was toted around by the woman who hit me to no less than four separate clinics to see a doctor who sent me to get my wrist x-rayed, then back to the doctor. I would have bet money that my wrist was broken but it's just sprained and is now wrapped in a bandage and hurts like crazy. Other than that just scrapes and bruises. And Buck the bike is a steel tank...almost no damage.

So our trip to Sydney for the weekend is off and I'm operating with one hand. I have one more week of holidays to recover and am fine all in all. It could have been so much worse. Thank goodness I don't have to go into writing my thesis with a cast!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jenn,

    Good to hear from you.
    I'll actually be downunder Dec 5-March 3, visiting my mother in Sydney who's just had an operation. If you are in Sydney and have the urge to look at stuffarama, she works at Peter's of Kensington, a giant store selling stuff you put in glass cabinets etc.

    If you'd like to link to my site, I have lots of tales about biking across Route66 (29 days. LA to Chicago),. etc to share with curious folks.

    http://www.galfromdownunder.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoa, look, it's lynette. damn this small world.

    anyways, my first bike accident occured in a a very similar way. and the moral of the story:

    AVOID THE SIDEWALK LIKE THE PLAGUE.

    no driver pays attention to the sidewalk, just like they don't pay attention to traffic going the wrong way.

    so do yourself a favor: even if it is for a small stretch, do not, i repeat, DO NOT ride on the sidewalk.

    good luck, and heal up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn,

    I hope you are on the mend. I can only imagine how you "could" feel after such an accident....hope the muscle aches and pains aren't too bad. Thinking of you and loving the stories....

    Allison
    aka Dr. Norris

    ReplyDelete