Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Food

Food is always a subject of interest when in a foreign country and while the food here is certainly not that different from the food in the US, there area few notable things. One is that there is Asian food EVERYWHERE and this makes me very happy. I'm not talking about Chinese food like you know it either. I'm talking Asian noodle houses with Thai,Vietnamese, Malaysian....
My new favorite thing is Laksa, a spicy noodle soup in coconut curry broth with fried tofu puffs. I don't remember ever seeing it in the states, but I've had it in just about every noodle house around. Mmmmm......

Not surprisingly, the one thing we don't have so much of here is Mexican food. Our American neighbors warned us not to eat at any of the "Mexican" restaurants around because the food is terrible and certainly not like anything from Mexico. But we stumbled on a new place that had only been open for a couple months so we thought we'd give it a go. We each ordered burritos, bean and chicken respectively, and we were quite surprised to find that each of our burritos had a distinctly curried flavor. Now I for one LOVE curry, but it was unexpected in a burrito. Brian's chicken was actually covered in curry sauce and I think the flavor in mine was coming from the beans. The place was right next door to an Indian restaurant.....come to think of it, the window to the kitchen was on the wall shared with the Indian place....

This isn't related to food but I realized yesterday that the Australian accent has stopped sounding so foreign and unique, and now I spend less time listening to accents (which I quite enjoy) and actually listen to what people are saying :) Not that I wasn't listening before of course, its just less novel now.

Oh, and I'm off on a field trip this weekend to the Snowy Mountains (you could watch the Man from Snowy River this weekend and pretend you're there with me!). There is a major hydroelectric plant there and we are going to have a look at the human ecological interactions happening there. Should be fun. Photos and stories to come....

1 comment: